Strasbourg’s animal parks, shown below, are outstanding in terms of animal welfare. Furry friends have a huge area to roam free and great care. (Some locals still remember the living conditions of the animals at Orangery Park. It was a far cry from being good.)
Surrounded by a wide variety of trees, both parks are the perfect escape during summer heat waves.
Strasbourg Animal parks
1. Parc animalier Friedel
The exceptional feature of Parc Animalier Friedel is that you have direct contact with animals, not just watch them through the fence.
Park is great for kids and animal lovers: there is a wide variety of domestic animals:
- Free admission, and many benches to rest on. Dogs are prohibited.
- Musée du Chocolat in 10 minutes walk from the park.
- Address: 2 Rue Girlenhirsch, 67400 Illkirch-Graffenstaden
- Adjusted City Parc Friedel has one of the best play structures in the area. Plus toilets :).
It is hard to find something challenging in terms of play structures in Strasbourg, especially for bigger kids. City Parc Friedel is one of few where even teenagers have fun. (You can hear them chirping in the background :D)
2. Parc Animalier S.R.P.O
At the heart of the forest, Parc Animalier S.R.P.O is a true haven for waterbirds. (We visited many places before, but have never ever seen anything like this!)
Hundreds of animals and a large variety of birds live in the park: hens, goats, rabbits, pheasants, deer, etc.
- Free admission. No toilets on site. Be aware of mosquitoes during summer
- You can extend your trip by walking in the forest, there are trails nearby.
- Address: 47 Fbg du Capitaine d’Alençon, 67610 La Wantzenau
- Nice, quiet Parc du Château de Pourtalès is nearby
Thanks for visiting!