SensoRied trail is a unique activity in Alsace: you walk barefoot through different terrain, water, and some mud (optional :)). Along the way learn about the area, its history, and inhabitants, solve riddles and play traditional games. And yes, you can wash your feet at the end of the trail :). It was free during the summer of 2022.
Exploring sensory barefoot trail in Muttersholtz
1. Location, trailhead, and parking
SensoRied trail is in 40 minutes by car from Strasbourg.
The parking (which was free during the summer 2022) is a couple of minutes walking from SensoRied trailhead, from there you can also pick up several more trails:
To get to the trailhead you have to go through the Muttersholtz Nature House, located in a picturesque setting, near the creek. We saw several storks flying along the trail and hunting frogs.
From parking to the trailhead you can spot footprints on the road that lead yo to the trail:
2. SensoRied trail’s restrooms and showers
It might sound unusual, a shower at the trailhead, but we saw plenty of bicyclists, who came to hike the trail, like us. I bet, a shower on a hot summer day was a treat!
3. SensoRied. What is “Ried”?!
You may wonder as we did… 🙂 “Senso” comes from sensory: you’ll use all of your senses on that trail, literally. “Ried” is a natural Alsacien region, squished between the cities Colmar and Strasbourg:
4. Unique activities in Alsace: on the trail
We liked following Hockemann, an imaginary creature:
One of our favorite parts of the trail: crossing the bridge with a net:
Different terrain: a hill with a rope, mud pit, and a wash basin, sensory patches:
5. The only little con
Information stands are very interesting but we wouldn’t understand them without Google translation. They are mostly in French with some German.
6. Unique activities in Alsace, barefoot trail, good to know:
- We spent around 1.5 hours on the trail and an hour at the outdoor sittings area of the Les Brasseurs du Ried (a brewery that sells good seasonal and classic beers, as well as bretzels, and ice cream, etc.).
- We were carrying our shoes, but you can leave them in the cubby, I think there is a 1 euro deposit.
- For the best experience try the least crowded time, to enjoy the trail and games to the fullest.
- You can combine the trail with the visit to the La Montagne des Singes or The Eagle Park (animal parks), or Château du Haut-Kœnigsbourg. All places are top-rated and located nearby.
Merci beaucoup! – Thank you very much 🙂
– Your Grazy Goat